Wednesday, March 2, 2011

...half birthday

So, today is my 1/2 birthday...
That means I am exactly 35.5.
6 months ago....was a hard hard day.

It started the night before my birthday....the crying.
Friends...I am not a crier.
Tears flowed and would not stop.
I woke up on my day...crying.
Someone special called me and I perked up thinking 'here we go, birthday wishes!'
She forgot though...
And didn't say it.
Another friend called.
He had just tragically lost his daughter a few weeks earlier.
He said it.
I was so grateful, but was also so touched that despite everything he was going through...he remembered.
More tears...

I wanted to stay home, but had a meeting with my manager.
GREAT
I cried all the way to work. I decided when I parked the car: clear it up...be professional...it's time for work.
At my desk, birthday cards were scattered.
A teammate walked in to wish me well...big fat tears filled my eyes. He hugged me and I lost it.
My manager walked in...time for the meeting.
Damn.
I followed him down the hall...wiping my red eyes and sniffing my messy nose.
He opened the door...
...inside was my teammates: hiding, yelling surprise with a full breakfast surprise waiting for me.
Shocked...I stepped back into the hall...overwhelmed. Tears, I was a mess!
'Nancy: you can either walk back in and look weak OR you can stand out here and be rude.'
Easy...I would rather be weak.
I walked back in and said thanks...it was all I could say.
We ate...and people hugged me...and they made me feel special...and, I cried happy tears. Gone were those 'feeling sorry for myself tears'.

A lot of emails, texts, and hugs later and the day was over.
(yes, I cried off and on all day - I was really pitiful)

After work, all my dear friends gathered.
We went out together, sat on a patio, enjoyed live music and each others company.
My head throbbed...I was exhausted...felt beat up from the days highs and lows.

I can't tell you much about most of my birthdays. Usually the day comes and goes with no major events.
My 35th...I will remember forever as the absolute worst AND most incredibly wonderful birthday of my life!
Thank you friends.

Tomorrow, I am closer to 36 than 35.
Damn, I'm getting old!

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: