Wednesday, May 4, 2011

...special occasions

I once read a story about a poor lady bought a beautiful dress. She saved it, for years. She would never wear it. Opportunities would come and go. She would make an excuse not to wear the dress. She would wear something she had worn before. She said, I am saving it - for a special occasion. Because I am forgetful - I don't remember the details. But, when the lady passed away. The family found the dress - nicely kept, never worn. And, her family buried her in that dress. It was the first time she wore it.

Imagine having something, something special - and holding it back. Because, well, you are waiting for the right time, or right place, or ... fearful if you use it, something will happen to it.
Not that I was staring death in the face last week, the devastation and disasters nearby cause you to think. If you aren't thinking - you are numb.
~~~
So, I bought a bottle of wine last March.
As in March 2010.
A friend and I went to the Biltmore in Asheville, NC.
It was a special trip.
I saved the bottle...
...for a special occasion.
In my mind, I would share it with a friend - on a big day.
We would celebrate a success.
Or I would share it with a guy...just sayin.

But,
Guess who had her own celebration?
...in the dark, alone...
:-)
You see, I decided...surviving a tornado and my family and friends - all safe; no damage - that is something to celebrate.
So I drank to:
Safety
Shelter
Love
Fear
Eye opening events
Awesome power of weather
Those lost...
Those found...
Beauty after disaster
Friends
Community
Hopelessless/being hopeful
Emotions
...feeling alive...

I hope you celebrated too.
If you didn't - refocus. Learn. Grow. We are here for a reason, find yours. And, if you happen to know my 'reason'...don't tell me, I want to find it for myself.

On a friends blog...so fitting for how I feel...
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others" - from Marianne Williamson's book, A Return To Love

...God - Grant me wisdom. Help me help others. Allow me to have a positive impact to all I come in contact with. Guide me to do your will. Strengthen me, I am weak. As I hold you up, continue to mold me. Protect me. Allow me to follow without question. Because your plan is awesome. And, I cannot wait to see what you have in store for me. Amen.

~Nancy~

No comments: