Friday, May 13, 2011

...watermelon? cantaloupe!

I love inside jokes. I love having stories with my friends.
Often times, they are the most stupid things...
But, it's those 'you had to be there' moments that are so precious.
Stories stick with you from year to year...
And laughter lives on.

Tonight was a wedding.
A Catholic Wedding.
I am not Catholic.
My friends that went with me, they aren't Catholic either.
(if you are Catholic and I offend you, I'm sorry...)

On the way to the wedding, we discussed the procedures.
We reviewed what we knew.
And, well, Catholic weddings are very ceremonial.
Lots of words.
Lots of tradition.
Lots of things that, a non-Catholic does not know or understand.
No disrespect intended...it's just ignorance.
...and then, there's the kneeling bench...
(Catholic wedding #1 in Minneapolis has many inside jokes...)
:-)

So, on the way to the wedding...
No one knew what the sayings were.
'What do we say and when?'
...then, she said it...
'When I don't know what to say, I just mouth 'watermelon' so my lips are moving and people think I am saying the right thing...'
THIS STRUCK ME AS HILARIOUS.
Brilliant!
Why didn't I think of this?
From now on, whatever the situation...I am going to use this!


From there, we digressed.
We mouthed 'watermelon' to each other...and then, the answer to watermelon turned in to cantaloupe.
We are goofy.
And, I love us for it.

Yes, during the ceremony...I had to turn to her and mouth 'watermelon'.
Big smiles.

All joking aside, I witnessed two dear friends get married.
It was a beautiful wedding.
I was so proud of them both.
Best wishes for a future of fulfillment.
:-)

No comments: