Tuesday, May 3, 2011

...the birds still chirp

Hey folks, the Southeast US was hit with terrible tornadoes last Wednesday. We have been without power, but that is minor in comparison to the lives lost, homes destroyed, and complete devastation in some areas.

...here's my account of last Wednesday, I wrote it on Thursday morning - before I had watched any news or had an sort of understanding just how bad it was...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday morning…
we didn’t know.
Tornadoes ripped through our beautiful state all day yesterday.
Lives were lost.
People were injured.
Homes and businesses destroyed and damaged.
Storms had come and gone all day. Storms had kept us held up in a conference room on the first floor in our building. And, there was more to come. ‘Go home’ was the advice given by our management. I Ieft work a little early for house/dog sitting duty. Thankful to have a brick one-level home to stay in for the night.
Mental account:
Arrive and turn on the TV.
A tornado is just to the north.
The neighborhoods I know and love and used to live in…and where friends still…all in danger.
Power goes off.
Out to the porch I go.
The clouds are ominous.
Wind whirling a bit.
No rain.
…I sit and think…
Be brave Nancy, you are okay and so are others.
Pray.
In the distance I hear sirens. Not the weather kind though, the weather sirens today have become so familiar…these sirens, are the emergency vehicle kind.
I hear birds chirping.
Even when the tree tops rustle, the birds chirp.
Phone call from mom, my thought ‘she must be checking on me’…
But instead…
‘There was an F5 in Tuscaloosa…many are dead’
‘It is headed in to Birmingham now…’
‘Your sister and the kids are taking cover in the basement under the stairwell’
‘Your dad and I have pulled a mattress in to the hallway to lay under’
‘If you try to call me, you might not get me for the next little bit’
‘I love you…’
No more bravery.
I lost it.
Momentary meltdown.
Tears…more prayer…overwhelming helplessness…
Yet, those damn birds still chirp.
I check FB on my phone, both good and evil.
…people posting they are okay.
… people posting that others are not okay.
…try to hit up news/weather sites, but coverage is limited.
Phone, mom, ‘all clear for now, your sis too’…
Relief.
But, still…what is going on here???
I finally get smart, pull my car in to the garage – turn the radio up and leave the windows down.
Tornadoes still cropping up…just to the north.
My poor friends and their communities.
FB friend from there posts: Wow, damage and death less than one mile from his home. This is bad…
Fear again.
Helplessness again.
Radio loud enough to avoid those birds…
Several hours later, I have heard from most of my friends.
All safe.
But…
Another mom calls me. ‘I can’t get in touch with my daughter, have you talked to her?’
Yes, I had, but that was before the last storm pushed through her area.
‘I will try again’ I promise ‘and I will call you right back’…
First try, call will not go through.
Lump in my throat.
Second try, I hear her voice.
…she never sounded so good…
I return the call to her mom, who is so very thankful!
Helplessness lessened….
Tired, I crack a window and crawl in to bed.
Morning comes.
And the birds still chirp.


~~~
Just the smallest view of the destruction:
I'll write more later. It's been a long week.
I think we can return to work tomorrow if the power is restored.
But, who will be able to focus?
...praying for all, Nancy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your post put a lump in my throat and made me tear up. Sorry again if my mom scared you. Thanks for everything! love you!