Monday, August 22, 2011

...the charm

You know what they say about the 3rd time?
Well, Saturday was my 3rd triathlon.
And - I will not say it was 'a charm' - but I was absolutely charmed all day! The triathlon was just a small part of what ended up being my most favorite and excellent day that I can remember in a very long time.

When you start your day like this:
You should just know - 'today is going to be my day'. As I drove to the triathlon site, I watched the sun peaking in and out of trees and from around buildings. Then, when I parked the car - wow is the only word to describe. This picture does it no justice - it was glorious!

I lined up for the tri.
This time, it was a backwards: run, bike, swim...
This time, I was alone. No friends were able to register...
This time, I was not nervous at all...

The horn sounded and off we went. They released us in groups of 100, 8 minutes apart. I was in the first group. It really was fun to hear the horn sound as I ran and know another wave of people was coming. Then, yes - even though I had an 8 minute head start over the second group - people began to catch me, pass me, and leave me in their dust. And to be completely honest, there were probably a couple people from the next wave that got me too. Oh well - I stayed my course/my pace. The run was on a trail. It was shaded. It was fun. Three miles down... I enter the shoot for the end of the race, to grab my bike and take off. I hear 'GO NANCY!!!!'. Standing together, with smiles and signs - two dear dear friends were there for me. To show me love. To cheer for me. To add to my already wonderful day...


See how great my friends are...

After 6 miles on the bike, I entered the pool.
I was not scared.
I was ready.
Me being me, I stayed close to the lane divider. If I got kicked or hit, I knew I could reach over and catch myself. Most of the time, I did the back stroke. It felt faster. And stronger.
Exiting the water, there stood my friends. Cheering for me still.
How blessed I am.

Later I checked the results. I WAS NOT LAST! In fact, I was 17th out of 21 in my age group. Overall, I was ~120s out of ~160 females. Seriously people, this is excellent for me. :-)

The rest of the day was rounded out with my parents, sister, and her children. Homemade lasagna and homemade ice cream shared with family was excellent.

If you can't tell, I am running out of blogging steam tonight...
I will end with, I started my Bible study last week and I have homework to do tonight.
After meeting my classmates, I am quite sure I'll have many stories to share in blogland over the next months!

Good evening friends, Nancy

No comments: